Trump Canada tariffs
Aug. 19, 2026, 4:52 a.m.
0 Comments

Trump Delays 50% Canada Tariffs for Three Days as Trade Talks Advance

Table of Contents

The new duties had been scheduled to take effect early Wednesday, August 19. Trump announced the postponement late Tuesday after holding talks with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney as both governments sought to prevent another escalation in their trade dispute.

Canada later confirmed that the United States had agreed to postpone implementation of the tariffs until the end of August 21. Carney said the two countries had made “substantial progress” in recent negotiations, while cautioning that important work remained before the outstanding trade issues could be resolved.

Nearly $20 Billion in Canadian Goods Affected

The proposed tariffs cover nearly $20 billion worth of Canadian imports and were announced by the Trump administration in July under Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930.

The U.S. administration has argued that Canadian policies disadvantage American exporters in sectors including motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and dairy products. Section 338 gives the U.S. president authority to impose additional duties of up to 50% in response to what the administration determines to be discriminatory treatment of U.S. commerce.

Had the new tariffs taken effect as planned, they would have hit a range of consumer and industrial products entering the United States from Canada. Unlike some previous tariff measures, the planned duties were expected to affect certain goods even when they qualified for preferential treatment under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, or USMCA.

Trump Says Agreement Is Being Finalized

Trump described the tariff delay as the result of an agreement between the two countries that still requires final documentation.

The announcement followed intensive negotiations involving senior officials from both governments. Trump and Carney spoke twice within two days as negotiators worked to narrow their differences ahead of the tariff deadline.

However, details of any final agreement have yet to be fully disclosed. Canada’s statement stopped short of declaring the negotiations complete, instead emphasizing that discussions are continuing.

Automotive tariffs have been among the major issues under discussion, with Washington and Ottawa negotiating how tariff relief and North American content should be treated.

Keystone XL Pipeline Returns to the Discussion

Trump also raised the possibility of reviving the Keystone XL pipeline, although he provided no details about whether the project forms part of the emerging trade arrangement.

The proposed pipeline, designed to carry Canadian crude into the United States, has been politically contentious for years. Its presidential permit was revoked by former President Joe Biden in 2021.

For now, the three-day tariff pause gives both sides a narrow window to settle their remaining differences.

The next significant deadline comes at the end of August 21, when the temporary postponement is due to expire unless Washington and Ottawa finalize their negotiations or announce another change.


More News:-


Share this article

Recent Comments:

No comments yet.

Get in touch

Other News

whatsapp